07 June, 2022
Media invite: UK Government Minister for Scotland to visit Flow Country World Heritage Project
Media invite: UK Government Minister for Scotland Iain Stewart will visit the Flow Country World Heritage Project to back bid to become a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Where: Forsinard RSPB Field Station and Visitor Centre, Sutherland, KW13 6YT
When: Thursday 9th June, 13:30-15:30
- UK Government Minister for Scotland Iain Stewart MP will visit the Flow Country World Heritage Project site to back its bid to become a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Dr Steven Andrews – Flow Country World Heritage Project Coordinator and Frances Gunn – Chair of the Flow Country World Heritage Project Steering Group and local crofter will join the Minister on a tour of the site as it reaches the final stages of its public consultation.
- Also in attendance: Graham Neville – NatureScot, Head of Operations (North); Professor Roxane Anderson – Professor of Peatland Science, UHI; Danni Klein & local volunteers/students – RSPB Forsinard Warden.
- Iain Stewart MP - UK Government Minister for Scotland
- Dr Steven Andrews – Flow Country World Heritage Project Coordinator
- Frances Gunn – Chair of the Flow Country World Heritage Project Steering Group and local crofter.
The Flow Country is the most intact and extensive blanket bog system in the world and could soon join Victoria Falls and The Rocky Mountains on UNESCO’s World Heritage Site list, with its bid for full nomination in 2024.
The peatlands of Scotland’s Flow Country in Caithness and Sutherland are not only important for nature and wildlife, they are also one of our richest carbon stores, making them a crucial defence against the effects of climate change.
World Heritage inscription is important on a local, national and global scale. For local communities and land managers, UNESCO inscription status offers a huge commendation of the work undertaken to maintain this globally important ecosystem. Inscription can bring investment and jobs to the area and raise the profile of peatlands, and their role in fighting climate change globally.
IMPORTANT: Please confirm by email that you wish to attend to email@example.com
A news release and images will be issued on Thursday.
- Fiona Leith
Notes to editors
More information about The Flow Country
NatureScot is Scotland's nature agency. We work to enhance our natural environment in Scotland and inspire everyone to care more about it. Our priority is a nature-rich future for Scotland and an effective response to the climate emergency. For more information, visit our website at www.nature.scot or follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nature_scot
’S e NatureScot buidheann nàdair na h-Alba. Bidh sinn a’ neartachadh àrainneachd na h-Alba agus a’ brosnachadh dhaoine gu barrachd suim a chur ann an nàdar. Tha e mar phrìomhachas againn gum bi nàdar na h-Alba beairteach agus gun dèilig sinn gu h-èifeachdach le èiginn na gnàth-shìde. Tha an tuilleadh fiosrachaidh aig www.nature.scot no air Twitter aig https://twitter.com/nature_scot